Scratchboard Bee - Live Lesson

That’s looking great, Teri! I’m so glad you seem to be feeling some better. I enjoyed seeing you in the group at Live Lesson last week.

Brenda

Looking good @TLP . I plan on getting caught up on mine today.

Terri Robichon

Hi everyone - I hadn’t worked on this for a couple of weeks, so I did some catching up today. After I finished the wings, I was getting comfortable with it so I kept going. I’m getting pretty good detail, even with the smaller 5 x 7 size. When I bought my scratchboard, I also bought the Ampersand Scratchbord tools (from Blick). It includes a fiberglass erasing brush. I’ve been liking that for creating some mid-tones (and for where I want a softer transition instead of a sharp white next to black). When the erasing brush gets filled with black ink residue, I rub it on my sanding block to clean it.

Terri Robichon

3 Likes

Wow, Terri! That is looking amazing! Your skill level amazes me every time.

Brenda

1 Like

Terri @robichon , this is looking really good. You have amazing skills with whichever medium you choose to use.

Lenet

1 Like

Thanks @Brenda. I so appreciate you taking the time to look at my posts and share some kind words. This forum is a great place to hang out because of people like you.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hi @lenetg137 - It is because of my participation in the local county fair, that I’ve obtained a broad base of skills when creating artwork. Aug 2017 was the first time I submitted 8 items in the “fine arts” category. That is all of the catagories that they had at that time. I did 8 things again in Aug 2018. Then in 2019 they made a HUGE increase in Fine Arts categories - but since that was not known until a couple weeks before the fair, there was no way to fully participate. Since then (August 2019) I have tried to submit entries for all 37 available fine arts categories every year. That’s 3 pieces of artwork every month.

So you can see, my skill level didn’t just happen overnight. I’m drawing and painting all the time. Not because I have to, but because I want to. I love the challenge to keep improving. It is very satisfying.

This ended up being another of my really long responses - sorry about that. But I hope these words will help others understand that education and practice really does make a difference.

Terri Robichon

4 Likes

Terri @robichon, I love your philosophy. You are correct, acquiring skill knowledge is only improved with practice.

I am tring to do a lot more drawing as well. I feel like I can see improvement in each piece. I just don’t have the time to put into my art like I want to. But my commitment to drawing more and improving my skills has greatly increased over the last year. It is hard to believe I have been with VI for a year already.

Lenet

2 Likes

Terri, How I wish we had something like your fair around here. All our county fair has is “fine arts,” and limited to two entries per person per age category. It’s really aimed more at school-aged children.

Be that as it may, I’m working so hard to improve my skills on a daily basis. I want so badly to develop my watercolor muscles. I do at least one entry in a watercolor journal a day with other things sprinkled in. I think, in the end, I would love to be able to do exquisite ink and wash pieces of birds and pets. Like you have said, it takes so much time! Being retired, I have that time most weeks. You inspire me!

Brenda

1 Like

Hi Lenet - The time really flies. It seems like once you are retired there is less of it. How can that be? It has been a delight getting to know you and working together on the photo challenge the last couple of weeks. Hopefully we will find some more projects that interest both of us. And if others decide to join in, the more the better.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Brenda, I so admire your passion for art and I’m glad that I’m getting to know you better. YOU are one of the big reasons I like hanging out here. Always participating in Gettin’ Sketchy and posting your work, encourages more of us to give it a try.

Regarding your local fair, I suggest you reach out and talk to the person in charge of the Fine Art category. As I stated, our fair started with 8 entries, and has grown to 37. Our fair secretary is very open to input from those in the community, and maybe you can influence change.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Aw, Terri, thank you so much. :slight_smile:

I’ll give it some thought, about contacting the fine arts coordinator for the fair. Another option is to look for other opportunities close by. I just need to do some research to see what possibilities there are.

As for Gettin’ Sketchy: I watched the glasses episode just now. I was not home on Wednesday night when it aired. I didn’t do the drawing, but I was fascinated by watching Matt as he carved those glasses out using charcoal and an eraser. I might have to give it a try!

Brenda

1 Like

@Terri,
Keep showcasing your amazing skills. Newly acquired or “long time saw it coming”, they’re simply amazing (I’m terrible at making inspirational quotes haha)

Sonia

P.S @Brenda @lenetg137 @robichon I enjoy the camaraderie and friendship developed through our work very much,

2 Likes

@Meme5 @Brenda @robichon
I too enjoy the continued support from each of you, and others here as well.

Lenet

1 Like

Hi Everyone. I was on a roll so decided to keep working on this little scratchboard bee without the aid of the final live lessons. And guess what, I ended up finishing it. Worth noting: previous photos were taken with cell phone, while this final post was scanned so it is a better representation of my actual work.

Terri Robichon

4 Likes

This is spectacular, Terri! I did this with Karl. I couldn’t keep my hands off it and finished before Ashley did. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Brenda

You did a wonderful scratch bee drawing @robichon , something to try in the near future :yum:

Terri @robichon , you have mastered another medium. I love the softness and realistic character you have achieved.

Excellence!

Lenet

1 Like

wow - looking amazing Teri!

This looks fabulous!!

1 Like