Stan the Chimp-Pencil

I did lesson 3 but watched last night. If Matt gets the recording up before Tuesday, I will try and catch up. I will miss the next 3 lessons! But hopefully can get caught up when back from vacation.

3 Likes

That’s looking great, June! Thanks for posting. I’m also waiting for the last lesson to post. Isn’t it amazing how the face just pops right out at you? Good job!!

And I’m jealous of that upcoming vacation! :steam_locomotive:

Brenda

Thanks! I want to do a blog post of my trip but according to my daughter that is old school. Haha. I think I will do a travelogue and then will tell people to email me if they want a copy :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

I’ll definitely want to see it!!

And don’t you just love the colors that are happening on StanFranCisco? :wink: :orangutan:

1 Like

Thank you, Alice, how is yours coming along? I look forward to seeing yours too!

Teri

June,

I also definitely want to see it!!

Yes, where technology is concerned, I am an antique - lol!!

I am starting over, with a new and improve Stan from the 21 century.

Teri

1 Like

I was not happy with the cheap 12 watercolor pencil set and still waiting on the Derwent set to come in. Wanted to catch up, so decided to do this one in inktense. My first watercolor process. It is definitely more of a challenge since my colors are not the same as what Matt is using.

2 Likes

I caught up tonight. I’m hoping I get happier with it as the remainder of that big white space gets filled in. This has been a real challenge but rewarding, and I’m learning so much! It almost ended up in the trash, but I feel I have too much invested in it to give up. What fun would that be? :crazy_face:I might try to add a little more hair before lesson time since Matt sad he was doing homework.

1 Like

You are off to a great start. Working with inktense is a little different from the watercolor.

Look forward to see your progress.

Teri

1 Like

Brenda,

Stan-Fran the Orangutan is looking good. His expression is great.

After my green hair experience, I have decided that I will go another route, but I do still have the first try.

The second one I have the background done. I am going to wait till I can place the order waiting for me at Blick’s with just a few colors I need for my experiment.

The rough paper for now has completely changed my thoughts after my 140 lb. cold press disaster. But everything is definitely a learning experience!!

Teri

1 Like

Thank you Teri. I now feel like Brenda and am considering doing a second Orangutan in the new watercolor pencils that just came in. But I think I will keep both and compare the results. I have already learned that I have to use a slightly different approach with the inktense moving forward. I’m not unhappy too much with this version, as I’m using it as a learning experience. I definitely need to get all base colors in before adding any of the darks. Those get really dark really fast. For that reason, I have decided to watch Matt, see where he goes, then go back and watch a 2nd time while I paint along.

1 Like

Hello,

i do that quite often. It helps me to watch more than once. I always find things that I missed. With the start you have with inktense you’ll have a great idea of how to proceed when your colored pencils arrive.

Until next Wednesday,

Teri

1 Like

Had to delete and repost. I posted the wrong photo. This is the current state if Stan-Fran. I’m beginning to add the darker values. It has made a huge difference!!! He’s actually redder than this photo.

1 Like

good for you for exploring with a different set of tools!

Hi Brenda -
This is looking great. I love seeing your progress. I’m just “watching” this series of live lessons and probably won’t do it myself for a while. I kinda like doing them after the class is done, when I can see Matt’s completed work (before beginning my own drawing / painting).

Terri Robichon

I know. I know. I am going rogue.

I had to try to catch up in half an episode or so.

After tonight’s class. I actually was able to paint along some, because I’d done more homework than Matt did. I also think this was an easier week to paint along live, because the technique is similar to the last few weeks with making hair. I sure wish I had found some 300# paper. Next time I’m in the art supply store in Houston I’ll pick up a few sheets to have on hand. Excited to work on the hands next week.

1 Like

Hey Nicole. He/she is pretty cute! Are you planning to add more details and or darker values? You nailed the color.

Going rogue does have its perks! It is looking really good. I look forward to seeing the next stage.

Teri